Monday, February 7, 2011

Food Glorious Food!

I ate a scrambled egg today, that's big news considering my last "real" meal was January 25th the day before my surgery. After surgery I went home with the instructions of staying on a liquid diet for a couple days and then begin introducing soft foods into my diet. Turns out that pesky little bowel obstruction happened before anything other than lemon ice passed my lips.

When I left hospital number 2 they too advised just liquid until I see the doctor again. That appointment happened this afternoon and he deferred to my surgeon who I meet with tomorrow. So for the last week I have had a diet of broth, yogurt, oatmeal and get ready for it, milkshakes; which really is not that exciting. I am craving something salty in a big way. Yesterday was Superbowl Sunday, besides Thanksgiving, I can't think of any other day when food seems to take center stage. My mom has been here taking care of me while I recover and my friends have been incredibly amazing at blessing her with meals each night. Last night my friend Laura brought my mom all the fixings for submarine sandwiches, chicken wing dip and chips and chopped veggies for dipping. It was all I could do to not just stick my finger in that dip and taste real food again.

I was an emotional wreck today, I blame it on pain, exhaustion and a lack of protein. I cried on the way home from the doctor today, I am desperate for a tuna fish sandwich or something that I actually have to chew. As my mom and I pulled into the garage I looked at her and asked "A soft boiled egg could be considered liquid right?" She agreed of course and quickly got to boiling water for me. When she handed it to me I asked her to stick it in the microwave for 30 more seconds to make it just a bit hotter. In that time it turned from soft boiled to scrambled and quite frankly I have never tasted something so good. Tomorrow after I meet the surgeon I am really hoping for a tuna sandwich or maybe some mac and cheese.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're home, Mary! I hope your recovery only gets smoother from here on out. Maybe by the time I'm back in Rochester you'll be able to conquer a Bruster's milkshake/ice cream delivery :) Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete