Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My 2011 Reading List

I don't think it comes as a surprise to any of my blog readers that my spare time is usually consumed by spending time with my family and friends, watching hockey and reading. I'm also a list maker and it makes me feel good to check things off my list or in this case to look back and see what I have accomplished throughout the year. I think when 2011 began I had a goal of reading one book a week. So that was probably a little too ambitious; like starting a diet and hoping to loose 10 pounds in one week. So I didn't do a book a week but I must say I'm pretty pleased at my list here.

2011 Book List


I had surgery at the end of January and was out of work for 6 weeks. I thought having all this time off would provide me with ample opportunities to read. It was a good plan yet while I really wanted to read, my body fought me and well I slept A LOT. During those 6 weeks I'm sad to report that I only completed the following 2 books:
Confession Time: Growing up I loved, loved, loved Little House on the Prairie. The books yes, but also the television show. Turns out 3 of the actresses from Little House all penned books recently and yes, I have completed the trifecta and have listed them in that order (win, place and show)
Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated
Prairie Tale: A Memoir
The Way I See It: A Look Back at My Life on Little House


Two of my friends published books this year. One of my favorites of the year, was written by my friend Eileen Button.
The Waiting Place: Learning to Appreciate Life's Little Delays
The other was written by a faculty couple who I work with.
Cheap Love: Living and Loving on Less

Summer Reads (and probably my favorites of the year) I love summer reading. For some reason, I think it's better than any other time of the year.
Prayers and Lies
The Pilot's Wife
The Sweet Relief of Missing Children: A Novel
Cutting for Stone
Surprised by Oxford: A Memoir
Maine
I actually read Maine, while I was vacationing in of all places, Maine.

And rounding out the year:
Life Is So Good: One Man's Extraordinary Journey through the 20th Century and How he Learned to Read at Age 98
This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women
Whistling In the Dark
Gilead: A Novel
Man's Search for Meaning Probably the 3rd or 4th time I've read this one. Assigned it to my Freshmen class this year, and a little disappointed that they did not love it as much as I do. Maybe someday they will.)
The Slow Fade: Why You Matter in the Story of Twentysomethings Another college read. This was a faculty read about engaging our students when it comes to matters of faith and mentoring.

And finally
Holidays on Ice I love David Sedaris, but this "holiday" book may be just a little too dark and sarcastic for me. Although I have laughed throughout and then felt a little guilty for laughing.

Well, that's my reading list for the year. Already starting to think about 2012. Shameless plug for comments here but what have you read this year and really enjoyed?

































No comments:

Post a Comment