Thursday, June 28, 2012

Summer Reading

It's the end of June, and lots of magazines, blogs, websites have created their summer reading lists.   At the beginning of the year I typically set a goal for myself regarding the number of books to read this year.  Several years ago my very ambitious goal was to read a book a week, I failed miserably, it was not a realistic goal. I have a full time job, other hobbies, family and friends and I do like to sleep.  One of my favorite blogs is that of a woman who reads a book a day.  That's right a book a day, 365 books a year.  Is it possible to both love and hate someone at the same time? 

At any rate my goal this year was to read 30 books, I'm at 13, we are 1/2 way through the year so I am a bit behind but I have some serious summer reading planned. Here's what I've accomplished so far this year.

Whistling in the Dark
Night Road
We need to talk about Kevin
The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay

Let me stop here and say that I realize I was pretty late to party when it comes to The Hunger Games trilogy but when people described it to me, I just kept thinking, that's not my thing.  I was surprised by how much I liked them, although I will say that with each book my enthusiasm for them diminished a bit.

Rush Home Road
My Korean Deli: Risking it all for a convenience store
The Forgotten Garden
A Circle of Quiet

And now a brief confession, (hanging my head in shame)
Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades Darker
Fifty Shades Free
Yes, that's right I have read the Fifty Shades trilogy, a family member who recommended the Hunger Games also recommend Fifty.  She did smile and give me a bit of a warning, "there a little risque" A little risque?    Dang!

Another confession, I don't like to start things and not finish them.  During book one I thought there is no way I am reading 2 and 3, but I did at my cousin's insistence and hoping that perhaps there might be some sort of redemption for Christian Grey.  I also decided to pass along to her a few books that my book club has read.  I want her to know what a good book really looks like. She's enjoying them.

So on to my summer reading list which by the way I probably could have finished at least one book in the time I've spent reading blogs, magazines, and book lists to actually come up with said list.

Home Front by Kristen Hannah
The House at Riverton by Kate Morten
The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Gallloway
Labor Day by Joyce Maynard
Arcadia by Lauren Groff
Blood, Bones & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton
The Whipping Club by Deborah Henry
The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (this is actually a re-read, as I'm thinking of requiring for my freshmen class this Fall)

Even as I look at this now, I think it may be a bit ambitious but it's a goal.  Enjoy your summer and your summer reading.  I probably will not be blogging again till all my reading is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment