Sunday, October 28, 2012

Deep thoughts from a 6 year old

It's been exactly 4 months since my last blog post, I'm sure plenty has happened in those last 4 months, but apparently I haven't felt the need to blog about it.  Two weeks ago my younger brother Matt and his beautiful fiance Kim got married.  Their wedding, quite frankly has been the highlight of the year.  I love them both and am so happy for them.  Lots of family and friends traveled to Chicago to celebrate their wedding and what a blessing it was to be with extended family for an extended weekend.  My niece Quinn was the flower girl and since her dad was also serving as the best man and was somewhat preoccupied helping the groom she and I were able to have some sweet one on one time. Getting our hair done, getting dressed for the wedding, taking pictures and hanging with aunts, uncles and cousins.

The day before the wedding she and I were having breakfast together in the hotel restaurant when she asked if I would share my bacon with her.  Of course I obliged and then the following conversation took place.

Quinn:  I love bacon, I don't think I know anyone who doesn't love bacon, do you Aunt Mary?
Me: Well I have some friends who are vegetarians who probably don't love bacon.
Quinn: What's a vegetarian?
Me: Someone who chooses not to eat any meat, because it comes from animals.
Quinn: So what animal does bacon come from?
Me: Pigs

Quinn is now looking at her bacon a little differently, and I'm wondering if I have scarred her for life or if she's just formulating more questions.

Quinn: So what else comes from animals? 
Me: Well chicken comes from chicken and fish comes from fish, and steak, and hamburger comes from cows.

Again, she's quietly contemplating something.  Finally she looks at me and says "It's wrong to kill animals, but they taste so yummy. 

True.  And my apologies to my vegetarian friends. They do taste yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment