Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Confession Time - I own pink crocs.

Two years ago at Christmas, my younger brother Matt gave me a pair of pink crocs. I was surprised by this very strange gift. Matt is what I would call a snob (and I mean that in the nicest way possible). He's a golf professional, who cares more about the way he looks than anyone else I have ever met. He works out, he is very careful about what he eats, he buys designer clothes and grooming products. He is what some would call a metro sexual, although I'm not sure many people use that terminology any more. So I was a bit confused as to why he would give me such an ugly pair of shoes. "These are great" he exclaimed "we got them in the pro shop awhile back and you would not believe how comfortable they are." He then acknowledged to us that he had his own pair (not pink) back home. "Careful Matt" my brother Mike warned "don't let too many people know that or they may take away your man card."

At any rate, Matt explained since they were closing the pro shop for the season and they had a lot of crocs left, mostly kid sizes (did I mention I have ridiculously small feet) he thought he'd grab me a pair. This same Christmas season, my 11 year old cousin was sporting her brand new Coach boots. She promised I could have them when she outgrew them, since at age 11 she and I had the same foot size. I'm not sure I'm cool enough to wear Coach boots though.

So for about 18 months these crocs sat in my shoe cupboard. Another sad fact about me, I keep all my shoes in a bottom kitchen cupboard by the door where I immediately kick them off as soon as I enter the house. Finally this summer I pulled them out and thought they would be good to use as garden shoes, if they got muddy I could just hose them down. I'm afraid to admit this, these are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned, why haven't I worn them before? Uh because they are pink and they are ugly. This morning I wore my crocs to work, well actually I walked out of the house and then got in the car realizing what I had on my feet. I ran back in and put on my not so comfortable black loafers.


2 comments:

  1. You are so funny! I will be back to follower... Mozilla won't let me for some reason?

    Thank you so much for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crocs Rock!!! So glad you have seen the light, Mary. I, too, own a pink pair, inherited from my cousin Karin, who unabashedly adored pink and presumable wore these shoes in public on a regular basis. I, being a tad more conservative in the footwear department, purchased a pair of black Crocs to wear thither and yon; in the pink ones I generally keep to the house.

    ReplyDelete